Wednesday, May 19, 2010

An Introduction

Let me introduce myself and explain my background. A general overview of my experience can be found at http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonwolson . Beyond this simple biography, there are certain distinguishing qualities that have shaped my career thus far and that will inform my writings on this blog.

A Diversity of Legal Experience- Many in-house departments tend toward specialization for the obvious reasons of efficiency and economies of scale. I know many corporate attorneys who have spent decades doing essentially the same type of legal work. Certainly, there is a virtue in honing one’s craft through narrowing the focus of practice. Law, in particular, lends itself to such specialization because within each area of the law is an abundance of complexity, nuance and the occasional counter-intuitive method. That said, my temperament is better suited to practice on the expanded side of the prism, where I can see each of the vibrant colors of the modern in-house legal practice. I have been blessed to work with organizations that have allowed me to enjoy a wide diversity of legal work and have encouraged cross-disciplinary training and rotational assignments.

A Focus on the Business Side of Law- After graduating from law school, I spent four years in private practice. I view this time as a necessary follow on to law school, an apprenticeship of sorts, to learn the “practice” of law outside of the law school’s temple of theory. I knew pretty much right away, however, that I most enjoyed the interplay between law and business- so I moved in-house, studied my way to an MBA, and spend my time building the legal bridges that support the journey between business strategies and business outcomes.

Interest in Operational Excellence- For a law practice to be most effective in a corporate setting, it must provide timely, relevant and actionable counsel to colleagues. This is easier written than done, particularly in a complex organization with necessary constraints on time, money, and energy. Dozens of books and thousands of articles have been written on the topic of law department management. I am a fervid student of this topic and it will be the subject of future postings.

Working with a Team- The study of law can be a solitary pursuit, but law as applied to the real world requires a team effort. The creation, development, motivation and fulfillment of a high performance legal team will also be a featured topic on this blog.

It is the cross-flow from these four currents that has shaped my experience and offers me a singular vantage point on the in-house practice of law; one that I hope to share with you through this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment